Saturday, October 25, 2014

That which could never last

 "I said 'Oh that I had the wings of a dove!  I would fly away and be at rest.  I would flee far away and stay in the desert.  I would hurry to my place of shelter, far from the tempest and storm."
 Psalm 55:6-8

Wind is blowing hard and loud.
Fury of God as He sets the world right,
banging our home and shaking
 off that which could never last.
Inside, my husband is beneath a quilt, rested, recovered
 from injury.
Children are making a fort of the edges that fall over his legs.
My son giggles and I feel his giggle
reverberating between my ribs.
I am in the kitchen, cooking familiar comforts.
  It requires a lot of butter.  
We do not count calories.  We eat until we are satisfied.
Outside, the storm pounds our yard
 to all softening.
Last month, we could not dig there,
and whatever hid beneath that earth did not poke through.
Once Heat hardened and humbled,
now Rain battered and tumbled,
And here we have plenty in winter.
Outside, the storm raging, 
how many storms raging,
SO MANY STORMS RAGING
and we sit here in the middle heart of it, 
Cocooning content.

"The LORD will indeed give what is good and our land will yield it's harvest."
Psalm 85:12

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home