Monday, November 24, 2014

With a word

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.  He was with God in the beginning.  Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made.  In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind.  The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it."
John 1:1-5 

The more time that I expend in this life, the more obvious it becomes to me that ALL LIFE is not only precious, but that it is miraculous. 
  Hello, one year old son; you never existed and now here you are. 
Just Like "Poof! Here's your baby."

Breath of God, speaking you into existence. 
 Before you were born, you just weren't here, you just. weren't. here.  I mean, I could feel you wiggling around on the other side of my belly, huge with the proof of you, but the blankets were empty, the crib, my arms, all empty.  And we didn't know what you looked like.  And we couldn't imagine your smell.  And then in an instant, you were here, a solid baby form to hold, wrapped in skin and whaling and blinking around.  

"Michelle, life is not a miracle, it is totally normal.  Babies are born every day.  "Miracles" are things that do not just happen every day.  Impossible things becoming possible."

My baby is an impossible thing that became possible.

What I mean by that is this evidence: 
We moved into this house 18 months ago, and there was no baby boy living here.  Now I look down from the sink where I am rinsing a dish, and there I see a one year old son, wearing a hoodie and jeans, drinking a cup of milk, and just standing there.  And he is so cute that all I want to do is pick him up and squeeze and whisper in his ear.  So I do that.   And then he smiles and giggles and says something really brilliant.  
Because out of the mouth of babies, that's why.
    
"As the rain and snow come down from Heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, so is my word that goes out from my mouth; it will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it."  Isaiah 55:10-11

So do not go on assuming that human words lack power.  For if by His word, God created us in His own image, the very image of God, then I think we must probably assume that there is a weaker measure of power in the words we the created say, too.
  My son has learned that he can say the word "cheese," and cheese appears in front of him.  It was in the refrigerator, out of his sight, and therefore out of existence, and then because he said the word, I placed it there on his high chair tray, in broken up baby bite size pieces.  My son cannot feed himself yet, but his word made an impossible thing possible, right before his very eyes.
What power there.  A word.

"Through the praise of children and infants
 you have established a stronghold against your enemies, 
to silence the foe and the avenger."
Psalm 8:2

When our son speaks, even those baby words have the power to light up my husband's face, and mine reflected there. He may only be saying the word "cat," which sounds like "gat" as he turns the book to the exact page with the cat on it,  but even just that word when it rings from within my son's mind and off of his tongue lands inside our hearts, sparks what feels like a million tiny spark plugs as it travels through each cell all the way to our very tippy toes and gives life to an ever growing joy.

"Congratulations, It's a.....JOY!"

"So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God He created them; male and female, He created them."        Genesis 1:27

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home