Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Sweet Potatoes

I don't know about you, but I can eat and eat and eat and eat and EAT the same things every day and never ever ever get tired of eating those same things day in and day out.  
    You would think I was exaggerting but I am not.  I am a habitual eater of the same foods.
"Hi, My name is Michelle, and..." insert whatever you might want to name this.  
     The contents of daily eating method have gradually changed over time, but currently they involve a lot of sweet potatoes.  I spend the time before nap time cooking them so that when they come out of of the oven, "Oops!  Look at that kids, nap time again!" and then I feel relaxed enough to give eating the proper attention I want to give it. 
     This recipe I am about to reveal has been perfected over time, and it's nothing super fancy, and you might already do this yourself and think it's all repetative and super not interesting.  Or you might think it's a thing of lack in your life, and you want to try it.  Either way, HERE YOU GO, GENTLE READER:
     My Favorite Sweet Potatoes:
Ok wait backstory: These came into existence when I set out to like sweet potatoes.  Previously, I had only ever experienced the Thanksgiving version of sweet potatoes, which involved sweetening them and therefore making them wretched.  That is a really sad waste of marshmellow fluff and brown sugar.  I stopped eating sweet potatoes altogether.  But then as certain vegetables do, sweet potatoes seemed to come back into popularity 5 years ago.  Hearing so much about their health benefits, I was sure a needed to find a way to like them.  I embarked on a recipe journey which, 5 years later, looks like this:
     Start by chopping 4 or 5 sweet potatoes into french fry shapes.  Skin remains on.  Who wants to deal with unnecessary peeling, plus the skin is nutritious.  I would say "Nourishing, but I can't handle the word "nourishing." 
     Once chopped, I coat them in melted butter, melted coconut oil, or a combination of the two. (Lately, it has been a combination of the two.)  I would love to give you exact measurements, but I eyeball it.  It's about 2-3 tablespoons of butter, plus 2-3 tablespoons of coconut oil.  Or all butter or all coconut oil, but equaling a total of 4-6 tablespoons rough total.  If that's not clear as mud.
     Next, spread the butter/coconut oil coated chopped sweet potatoes across two cookie sheets.  
Then I sprinkle them with pink himalayan sea salt, a very slight sprinkling of cayenne pepper, and a more generous sprinkling of cinnamon.  A little cayenne goes a long way, so err on the side of caution there.  
     Bake in a preheated oven at 400 degrees for roughly 32-25 minutes.  The exact minutes will depend on how thick you actually cut them, and the strength of your oven.  You will have to eyeball it until you figure out the time that works for you.  My particular oven usually cooks them to perfection in 32 minutes.  
     Once fully cooked, (they will look brownish on the ends and be french fry texture, not too soft.) I scoop them onto a paper towel lined plate, and then for the finishing touch not to be left out or forgotten: Squirt lime over them!  Wow, this is so so so good!  If you don't have a lime, squirt a lemon!  This is also good, and truly, I usually squirt both on my sweet potatoes. But if one had to choose between a lemon or a lime, I would say go with the LIME!  
     And then that's it, you are ready to consume these delicious bites of vitamin A and Beta Carotene.  Are vitamin A and Beta Carotene the same thing?  Discuss...
     B. T. Dubs, I also squeeze lemon and lime on my morning breakfast eggs with avocado.  Yes, yes, and yes.  Just makes your food tastes like it has WOKEN UP!  This is a good feature for a food, especially in the morning, wouldn't you say?  
    I'd say.
    I just did say.
I'm going to now do something I never do, which is to push the "publish" button on this very rambly train of thought post written in haste as two children watch the end of a movie and wait for their dinner to cool down enough to eat and my husband snoozes on the couch next to me.  
   Spell check has not been checked and I have not reread these words.  This is just exactly how they flowed.  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home