Monday, January 29, 2018

Wilderness

Of what 
will we build our fort, 
my dear, of what
will we build our fort?
these sticks, collected here
to burn, gone soggy
from the unexpected storm upon storm
will only create a lot of smoke now,
I'm afraid;
which might scare off a hungry bear,
but never keep us warm.
Why we didn't cover them
right away, secure
in a waterproof place?
hindsight is perfect sight, 
but I was not born backwards, dear,
or with eyes 
behind my head.
Most people are given 
just enough light 
to find the next stick
to add to their fire
or reinforce a wall; 
most people only see
what is right in front of them
if they see anything at all.
But
Most people don't see anything, 
my dear.
Most people weren't born 
with eyes.
So close yours too and
fall asleep, 
let the drips from the leaking flap cover,
and the distant winderness howls 
lull you-
tomorrow you might wake up
somewhere else 
entirely.



  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home