Wednesday, April 26, 2017

The thing about Spring

The slabs of the fence are usually light brown, but today
they look gray from the rain.  
"Your father is dying," she says, matter of fact, but
she's been saying that for years.  
"Oh but this time,"
This time?
(Well, what happens this time?)
"Just make sure you tell him."
Ok. 
(Wait, what?  Tell him what?  Was I going to say something?)
The thing about Spring is that it was supposed to stop raining on Monday.
I didn't want it to go unnoticed, so I sat outside
watching for rainbows that did not appear.
Now two days later, it's raining again. 
 I am never prepared.
If today is the last day of rain, then-
goodbye.
Hot weather approaches
"Are you ready?"
(No.  Never.)
I can't stand the heat.  But this year I itch 
at the thought of summer's end
for the next time it rains,
He will be gone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home